Associate Faculty Reemployment Preference
The reemployment process is a voluntary program for Associate (part-time) Faculty
members who wish to be considered for “Reemployment Preference”. To begin the process
for consideration, the Associate (part-time) Faculty member must complete the Associate Faculty Request for Preference Form and submit the completed form to VC_EdServices@rccd.edu and email@example.com. All information submitted is for the following Academic Year.
If you have questions, please contact
- Susan Brucks
- Dr. Lijuan Zhai
- Dr. Shari Yates
Tamara Medina Olivas
Rhejean King-Johnson for Moreno Valley College
Diana Campuzano for Norco College
David Martinez for Riverside City College
Associate Faculty Reemployment Preference - Article X, Section R, pages 30 - 34
Associate Faculty Evaluation Process - Article XI, Section D.3., pages 55 - 57
The criteria used to determine eligibility is as follows:
- Completing the Associate Faculty Request for Reemployment Preference Form.
- Teaching the specific course within the past two years and on or after July 1, 2017,
- Teaching the specific course at the specific college in the district where preference
is being requested.
- Teaching the requested course for at least 2.0 total FTE per course (10 courses at
0.2 FTE), or 1,215 (2.25 FTE) non‐ instructional hours (Counselors/Librarians) at
the specific college where preference is being requested.
- Receiving at least three satisfactory evaluations regarding the specific course requested.
This requirement includes being on the three‐year evaluation cycle due to satisfactory
evaluations including peer evaluations and student evaluations or the equivalent.
If an Associate Faculty member does not meet the criteria to receive preference, it
does not mean that he/she/they may not be given a future teaching assignment. It just
means the Associate Faculty member will not be placed on the reemployment preference
list yet. The Associate Faculty member may still teach if given an assignment.
For Associate Faculty who have not been evaluated three times in the same class, at
the same location, it was purposely written into the Faculty Association Contract,
and the MOU, that Associate Faculty member may ask to be evaluated every Fall and
Spring term in order to quickly earn preference. The legislation for reemployment
preference has changed the process in our District for Associate Faculty evaluations.
If the Associate Faculty member does not meet the requirement(s) based on evaluations,
yet has taught the same course at the same college for a minimum of 2.0 FTE, it is
being recommended they immediately ask to be evaluated during the current term if
teaching a course. Once the faculty member has received three satisfactory evaluations
for the same course, at the same college, apply for preference again to request to
be placed on the reemployment preference list.
Full Time Faculty Retirees: Must complete, and submit, the Associate Faculty Request for Reemployment Preference
Form. Preference is given to full time faculty who retire for the first semester that
they are eligible to teach. Retired faculty will be evaluated during the first semester
serving as part time faculty and if they receive a satisfactory evaluation, they will
be eligible to apply for preference and be considered on the three‐year cycle.
The process to apply for eligibility:
- Complete and submit the Associate Faculty Request for Preference Form and submit
the form firstname.lastname@example.org and VC_EdServices@rccd.edu.
- Educational Services will communicate with the Associate Faculty member when preference
form has been received, and verify the date and FTE requirements. The information
will then be forwarded to HR&ER to verify the evaluation criteria.
- Educational Services will notify Associate Faculty member regarding the status of
their application within 30 calendar days.
- Educational Services will create a spreadsheet of Associate Faculty who have been
approved for preference and forward it to the VP of Academic Affairs, who will in
turn forward the information to the Area Dean(s).
- Area Dean(s) will forward the preference status spreadsheet to Department Chair(s).
- Department Chair(s) will review Associate Faculty within their department(s) to ensure
that the faculty member(s) have not become full-time or received an unsatisfactory
- Associate Faculty Teaching Availability form(s) shall be distributed for upcoming
Fall/Spring Term by the Department Chair(s) and/or IDS.